St. Paul’s began as the headquarters of the Kamloops Missionary District which was established in 1884. This field of activity included all points south of Kamloops to the international boundary and east to the Rocky Mountains, as well as Ashcroft and the Nicola Valley. By 1892 the Kamloops Missionary District had been divided, creating four new missions: Ashcroft and Nicola; the Okanagan Missionary District, including Enderby, Vernon and Penticton; Donald and Golden Missionary District; and Kootenay (or Nelson) Missionary District. By 1917, with the removal of the Thompson River Mission into a separate pastoral responsibility, St. Paul’s became a single congregation urban parish. In 1935 Bishop George Wells designated Kamloops the See City and St. Paul’s Church the Cathedral. St. Paul’s was also responsible for services at St. Peter’s, Monte Creek from 1966 until the mid-1970’s.
The original church building was built in 1888 in the 100 block Main Street (Victoria Street West). In 1924, the building was moved to the Nicola Street site at 4th Avenue, with additions made to the original building. The cornerstone contains relics from the original church together with coins and documents. The stained-glass window on the east wall is part of the original 1888 sanctuary.
Some thirty years later, the building underwent structural changes. The chancel was enlarged, the altar moved from east to west, and a vestry, chapel and parish hall incorporated. A steeple was erected atop the main entrance. The sanctuary ceiling is supported by magnificent beams and rafters.